Saturday 30 June 2012

Too busy ... to blog!

I've been too busy recently, entirely my own fault!  I've been doing lots of worthwhile things and rather neglecting myself and the things which are actually most important to me.  Since I stopped working in a law firm and operating within the usual pattern of working 9 to 5 I have found it very difficult to create a sensible working framework within my week.  It's disturbing how often I have to check myself, review priorities and make changes.
My thoughts turned to this very issue when I was asked to give one of the Tuesday Talks in Birmingham Cathedral in the current series on the Ten Commandments for the Workplace.  The title was Keeping a Balance and my topic was the fourth commandment, "to remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy".  I have to confess to feeling a little hypocrital as I stood in front of others this week to talk about taking Sabbath and rest!
I'm not talking about keeping Sunday special (although that may not be a bad idea) rather,  I have been reflecting on having regular time to relax, rest and reflect.  So my promise to myself is to prioritise Sabbath times.  Time to remember who I am in the context of the created world and who I am in Christ.  I will endeavour to create Sabbath times with four aims in mind:
First, rest – simply to recharge my batteries, to get a bit more sleep, to move a bit more slowly.  I was very entertained by something the Dean of Birmingham Cathedral tweeted a couple of weeks ago which read as follows; “Day off: pleasures of exercise, but really can’t run, try “power walking” but whats difference between this and hurrying?”  For some people power walking would be perfectly restful but for many it's wouldn't be!
Second, reflect on what I have been doing  and say “it was good” – practising delight as part of my Sabbath observance and discipline.
Three, time that dethrones the rule of work – to affirm that my life has more value than the work I do.   It is about making a choice to trust God rather than my own ingenuity.  By breaking our usual pattern of work activities we service notice on the powers that be that we belong to another kingdom, a place of freedom. 
Fourth, focus on God -  where possible to meet with others to worship, to spend time alone to pray, to listen to read and to rekindle my first love.  It’s a bit like having a date night with your spouse however long you’ve been married – getting back to what it’s all really about!
If you are interested here is the podcast to the talk I gave in Birmingham Cathedral:   http://bit.ly/KKENo8 

No comments:

Post a Comment