Wednesday 23 May 2012

Birthdays and thankfulness

It was my birthday last week.  I really enjoy birthdays, I never do very much, but it is always fun to hear from friends and have a few special treats.  This year I was given an ice cream maker which I am very delighted with.  A week on and I am perfecting the skill of ice cream making, we have enjoyed mocha ice cream, chocolate ice cream and mango sorbet so far.  As a result of the adverse impact this is likely to have my my waistline, and my birthday reflections, I have joined the gym and hope to exercise off the excesses of ice cream indulgence!

As well as an opportunity for treats and celebration of friends and life a birthday is also a chance to reflect and plan.  I have always felt glad that my birthday falls at this time of the year a good few months after New Year so that I can see how I'm doing in the light of the resolutions I made.  In our family we have another such opportunity in September when a new academic year starts for both husband and son and yet again a routine needs to be established after the summer break as we adjust to new timetables and a different but familiar routine.

I have been reflecting how easy it is to view the past through a false lense - sometimes I recall times as happier than they probably were in reality, sometimes I recall times as darker and bleaker than they were.  This is struck me particularly strongly when I met up with a friend last week that I'd not seen for a very long number of years.  Catching up on news was lovely but meeting reminded me of a time when I was less settled and much less happy.  It is a little bit unsettling to be unexpectedly transported back to a very different time in life and very briefly relive those emotions. 

So what have I concluded as a result of a birthday and a trip down memory lane - I enjoy getting older!  I have a greater sense of who I am and what my life is about.  I have a happier and more settled existence on so many levels, I have a much clearer idea about what creates a sense of well being and how to care for me in the midst of busyness and life.  I am more than thankful for what I have.  The practical result of these reflections is that I have joined a gym near where I work - a new year resolution for me personally!  My other birthday resolution is to practise thankfulness on a daily basis and avoid the risk of living either in the past or for the future.

My January resolution, that this was the year of friendship and I would work hard to meet up with people I'd not seen for a long time, is still going well - this weekend I am meeting up with an old work colleague (we were trainees together) who I've not seen for about 7 years.

Stopping to take stock is good.  Finding space to be thankful is even better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment